If you are living in one of our homes and are elderly, have a long-term illness, are disabled or just have difficulty getting around your house, we may be able to help.

Aids and adaptations can be arranged for people who need their homes to be altered to help them live more independently. Mobility problems can often be overcome by carrying out alterations, and other changes can be made to improve accessibility, remove hazards or increase safety and security in your home.

Often, simple changes can make a big difference, for example minor works such as grab rails to help you out of the bath, flashing doorbells, stair rails, lever taps and ramps to your front door. It can also include more major changes to your home such as showers that are the same level as the floor to make them easier to get in and out of and the installation of a stair-lift.

We want to be sure that we can identify the adaptations best suited to help you. If you, or someone you live with, think you need an adaptation in your home, an occupational therapist will assess your needs. You will need to arrange this with your local council's Occupational Therapist from Adult Social Care or the Children with Disabilities Team, as appropriate.

When the occupational therapy team lets us know what work we need to do, we will write to them with our response and send you a copy of our letter so you know what is happening.

In most cases, we will pay for small changes to your home. If an occupational therapist has recommended work we will help you apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local council. Once any new aids or adaptations have been fitted in your home, we will usually look after them. We may charge you for this through a service charge.

For further information, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0300 303 1010