An emergency should be reported to Customer Services as soon as possible.

Click here to see our latest repairs and maintenance checklist.

What is an emergency repair?

An emergency repair is any fault which threatens further harm to persons or property.

When an emergency repair is reported we aim to have a contractor at your property within 24 hours. To ensure the best use of our resources we have defined the emergency jobs that will attract the 24 hour priority.

For all emergencies you should contact us on 0300 303 1010, calls made out-of-office hours will be answered by Mears 247, our call handling service.

Mears 247 can alternatively be contacted from 6.00pm - 8.00am by calling them direct on 0203 589 3051.

Please remember only genuine emergencies will be dealt with out-of-hours. If an emergency call-out is not a genuine emergency, the costs incurred will be charged to you.

What is an emergency?

Heating and hot water

  • Where you or your home is at risk due to a major water leak from any part of the heating system.
  • Where the heating system fails between October to March inclusive.

We recommend that you purchase at least one portable fan heater for emergency situations.

Please note: Having no hot water is NOT considered an emergency. The only exception to this would be for household members who are frail, elderly or registered disabled.

Gas leaks

If you smell gas, please telephone Transco (British Gas) on 0800 111999 who will attend to isolate the meter and make safe where necessary. If this results in a lack of heating, it will be dealt with as above (see 'Heating and hot water'). You will need to give us this information when you phone.

Lack of power supply

We will attend to this as an emergency when there is a loss of power to sockets throughout your home -please check with the supplier before contacting us. Power loss to lighting circuits will be attended to only when there is a hazard to health, such as light to communal hallway.

Total lack of water supply

Before contacting us, please check with the water utility company to ensure that works are not being carried out in the area.

Plumbing leaks

Where a leak is minor and can be contained, no attendance will be made as an emergency. If the leak is causing damage, then it will be considered an emergency - especially if penetrating into an electrical fitting. In the interim you should turn off your water supply at your stopcock or gate valve.

Roof leaks or other damage

This will be attended to only when the damage to the roof is likely to worsen or when it is hazardous (eg roof tiles may fall on to a public highway). Usually, we will only make the roof safe and arrange a repair for a later date.

Downpipes and gutters

We will deal with this as an emergency only if water is entering the building causing major damage or the loose part is dangerous and cannot be made safe by the resident.


You should always have the use of one toilet. If blocked, we will clear the blockage. Please note that, if the blockage is due to your actions, you will be charged for the repair.

Broken windows (glazing)

Where the damage is caused as a result of a crime. In this case, notify the local police who will supply you with a crime number, which we will need for our records. We will make safe and secure at the emergency visit and make a further appointment to re-glaze.

Insecure property

This would be considered an emergency in several instances. For example, if a door is damaged in a break-in and will not close, if a ground floor window is jammed open or if a lock will not operate. If the damage is caused as a result of a crime please notify the local police who will supply you with a crime number, which we will need for our records. We will make safe and secure at the emergency visit.


Normally we will not attend lockouts if this is due to tenant neglect, such as losing a key or locking it in the property. You should contact a local locksmith. Assistance may be offered to elderly and infirm residents, but you should be aware that the works will be chargeable (unless you are in sheltered accommodation).

Dangerous walls and fences

We will attend and make safe walls and fences that are in a dangerous condition, for example due to storm damage.

Defective manhole covers

We will repair manhole covers that are within curtilage (boundary) of your property only. We will attend as an emergency to repair, temporarily cover or protect damaged, loose or missing manhole covers if dangerous.