Cookies on the
Paradigm website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use standard cookies to track page statistics. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Paradigm website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.

Council Tax Benefit reform

Changes to Council Tax Benefit

Council Tax Benefit, the discount that some people receive when paying their Council Tax, ended in April 2013. It will be replaced by new arrangements in each local council.

The new local schemes will take into account a 10% cut in funding from central government.

This means that if you currently pay a reduced Council Tax, you may have to pay more when the new systems are introduced. If you currently receive full Council Tax Benefit and pay no council tax at all, you may have to pay some under the new arrangements. This will depend on your local council.

Please note that if you have to pay more Council Tax through the new scheme in your area, it is still essential to pay your rent. If you get into arrears, you could risk losing your home.

When will the new schemes be introduced?

Council Tax Benefit ended on 1 April 2013. However, whether you will be affected by this change, will depend on:

  1. your personal circumstances and,
  2. the new Council Tax arrangements at your local council.

Some local authority Council Tax relief schemes will not change until April 2014.

Your local council will have written to you about this and you should contact them with any questions you may have about your Council Tax.

Who will be affected?

This will vary according to your local council. It may affect you if you currently pay a reduced Council Tax or even if you pay nothing under the Council Tax Benefit.

Who will not be affected by the new local Council Tax arrangements?

If you are a pensioner, you will not be affected by this change.

What can you do if you are affected?

If you are concerned about paying your Council Tax, contact your local council.

If your income is reduced through this change and you need advice on budgeting, you can get support from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

How can I find out more?

We have provided links below to the Council Tax web pages of all the local councils where Paradigm provides homes. Click the link to your local council to find out more about any changes in your area.





Bracknell Forest






East Herts







Milton Keynes

North Herts



South Bucks

South Cambridge

South Oxford

St. Albans


Three Rivers

Welwyn Hatfield

Windsor & Maidenhead




Further information

You can check what benefits you are entitled to through this benefits adviser.

More information about benefits is available from My Advice Gateway.

For support and guidance around budgeting, contact or visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau