Personal Independence Payments


What is a Personal Independent Payment (PIP)? 

Personal Independence Payments (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for eligible working age people aged 16 to 64.

Under PIP you will be assessed on your ability to carry out daily living and/or mobility activities, rather than on what your current health condition or disability is.


When was PIP introduced? 

PIP was introduced in June 2013 for new claims. Since October 2013, people applying for re-assessment of their DLA claims, have been asked to make a new claim for PIP. 

From October 2013, if you apply for re-assessment of your DLA, perhaps because your condition has changed or your DLA claim has come to an end, you will be asked to make a claim for PIP instead.

From 2015 onwards, the government's Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will invite everyone claiming DLA to be re-assessed and to claim PIP instead.


Who is affected? 

The change will affect everyone of working age claiming DLA or intending to make a claim for benefits to help them with living costs because of their illness or disability.


Who isn't affected? 

The new rules do not apply to anyone of pension age, as they will already be in receipt of Attendance Allowance rather than DLA.

If you currently receive Attendance Allowance, you will not be affected by the introduction of PIP.


How can I find out more? 

DWP has provided a web page which may answer many of your questions about the new benefit and new assessment process.

You can also phone the DWP Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 88 22 00 for further information

For further information around benefits contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

For advice and support to complete a claim for DLA or PIP, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You can find your Citizens Advice Bureau by following this link.