Cookies on the
Paradigm website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use standard cookies to track page statistics. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Paradigm website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.

The Benefit Cap

What is the Benefit Cap?

The government is introducing a new limit on the total amount of benefit (including Housing Benefit) that most people can receive. This is called the 'Benefit Cap'.

When will the Benefit Cap be introduced?

On 1 April 2013 the cap will be introduced to four London boroughs including Enfield where Paradigm provides homes.† Other areas across the country are set to follow from 15 July 2013.

Who will it affect?

The Benefit Cap will affect everyone aged 16 to 64 whose income from benefits is more than:

  • £500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £500 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 a week for single adults who donít have children, or whose children donít live with them

If your total income from benefits is greater than those limits (based on your circumstances), your Housing Benefit will be reduced until it is lower than the cap.

Please note that if your benefits are reduced, you will be responsible for paying Paradigm any shortfall in rent. If you build up arrears, you could risk losing your home.

Who wonít be affected by the new limit on benefits?

You are exempt from the Benefit Cap if you are:

1. more than 64 years old or,
2. entitled to or receiving Working Tax Credit

You will also be exempt if you receive one of the following:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (from April 2013)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • The support component of Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits
  • War Widows and War Widowers pension

What can I do if I am affected?

If the Benefit Cap will reduce your income, you may need to consider:

  1. moving to cheaper accommodation
  2. seeking advice around getting back into employment or increasing your hours

Where can I find more information?