Managing your home

Plus Plus Appliances and furniture

Your local council may be able to help you get hold of items of furniture – as well as helping with other issues, such as debt advice, food and fuel poverty.

If your local council do help with furniture, some will provide it for free, while others will only offer you a loan to get the items yourself. You can usually only apply a limited number of times within a given period.
Most local authorities with a scheme only help with the most essential items such as a cooker, fridge/freezer, and bed. Some will also provide a washing machine, sofa and wardrobe.

Furniture project aid contacts

  • The King Church Amersham – 01494 431882
  • High Wycombe Central Aid Pat tested white goods – 01494 443459
  • Citizens Advice bureaux – 0345 404 0506
  • Family Fund Business Services

Plus Plus Avoiding condensation and mould

If you notice damp and mould in your home, please report this to us so we can do an inspection to confirm the cause of the issue. We can then work with you to resolve the problem. For example, there may be a leak from above, or a concealed leak.

The issues you are experiencing may be related to condensation. Too much condensation can make your home damp, with a risk of mould and can even cause breathing problems. There are some tips below to help you avoid condensation causing issues:

  • Increase the air flow in your home; make sure you open vents and windows when you are cooking or using the bath or shower to let the moisture in the air out.
  • Don’t place furniture against external walls and leave room for air to circulate. For the same reason, don’t over fill cupboards or storage areas.
  • Reduce moisture in the air by drying clothes outside if possible but if not, put them on an airer and not directly onto a radiator.
  • Don’t overheat your home quickly as it makes condensation worse as well as being expensive, a constant 15-18 is best with a humidity reading of 40-60%.
  • Deal with mould quickly when it starts to grow, mould grows quickly on condensation. Wipe down areas where there is condensation and use a mould cleaner if needed.
  • When redecorating, use a anti mould paint in areas where you have had previous problems.

Plus Plus Information and links for aids, adaptations and disabled facilities

Paradigm Housing contact: John Smith, Disabled Facilities Officer, call 01628811765 or email

Disabled Facilities Grants are available to give disabled persons better access into and around their home, and access to essential facilities within it.

Works may include installing a stairlift or an access ramp, or replacing a bath with a walk-in shower.

The grant is available to home owners and tenants and is subject to a test of the disabled person’s resources (except where the works are for a disabled child). If you receive certain benefits, you will not be required to make a contribution towards the cost. The maximum grant is £30,000.

To qualify for a grant, the works must be recommended by a Community Occupational Therapist, and must not start until the grant is approved.

Disabled Facilities Grants

To request an Occupational Therapist assessment for an adult, contact the Adult Early Help Team on 01296 383204. To request an assessment for a child or young person under the age of 18, contact the Children and Young People’s Team (South) on 01494 475080.

Aids, equipment and adaptations | Contact
Age UK