Your family

Plus Plus What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is where one person exhibits abusive behaviour to another person who is ‘personally connected’ to them and both parties are over 16 years old. This could be a partner, spouse, relative or someone who is, or has been, in a personal relationship with the abuser.

Abuse does not have to be physical. It can also present as a person being controlling, threatening or violent. Domestic abuse can also be psychological or emotional, sexual and financial.

It does not matter whether the behaviour consists of a single incident or a course of conduct.

Plus Plus What support is available to me if I'm experiencing domestic abuse?

Domestic Violence helpline
A free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence. Domestic Violence & Abuse · Emergency Injunction Service 

Victim support service
National charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their friends and family. Resources for Victims or call 0845 3030900

Provide support to refuges through a variety of services including independent advocacy, community outreach projects, culturally specific services and the 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership with Women’s Aid. Get help or call 0808 2000 247

A charity, working together with adults and children experiencing Domestic Abuse. Visit Hestia, call 020 7378 3100 or email

DASH – Domestic Abuse Stop
A charity supporting families experiencing domestic abuse across Windsor & Maidenhead, South Bucks and Slough. Visit Home or call 01753 549865

Sanctuary scheme
A multi-agency victim-centred initiative which aims to enable households at risk of violence to remain safely in their own homes by implementing security measures. Secured By Design

Herts Sunflower
A service supporting people who have been abused or people who know someone who has been abused. Herts Sunflower or call 08 088 088 088

Women’s Aid
A grassroots federation working together to provide life-saving services and build a future where domestic violence is not tolerated. Women’s Aid 

Rights of women
Support and legal advice for women Rights of Women

Hillingdon Women’s Centre
Providing much-needed services to vulnerable women within the local community. Hillingdon Women’s Centre 

Wycombe women’s aid helpline
A registered charity working in the Wycombe, South Bucks and Chiltern Districts of Buckinghamshire. They work with women and children who are experiencing or trying to escape domestic violence and who are dealing with its effects and consequences. Wycombe Womens Aid or call 01494 461367

Welwyn Hatfield Women’s Refuge and Support Services
Offer temporary, crisis accommodation for women fleeing domestic violence and abuse. Welwyn Hatfield Women’s Refuge or call 01707 373743

Home Start Central Bed
Provide vital domestic support services to families with young children in Central Bedfordshire and Luton. Giving Children The Best Start In Life or call 01582 660661

Men’s Advice Line and Enquiries
Provides emotional support and practical advice for any male in a heterosexual, gay, bi-sexual or transgender relationship. Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men

Provides hate crime, domestic abuse and sexual violence support services to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans + victims/survivors by telephone, email, text and WhatsApp. Galop 

Plus Plus What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding is protecting a person’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect, while at the same time making sure that the person’s wellbeing is promoted.

Plus Plus Safeguarding links

If the person is in immediate danger, call 999. If a non-emergency crime is being committed, call 101.

Otherwise, if you suspect a person is experiencing abuse or neglect, you can make a Safeguarding referral using the information below

Buckinghamshire (Adults) – Report a Concern 

Buckinghamshire (Children) – Report a concern about a child

Central Bedfordshire (Adults) – Protecting vulnerable adults from harm 

Central Bedfordshire (Children) – If you want to report abuse of a child, please call the Children’s Team on 0300 300 8585

Hertfordshire (Adults) – Report a concern about an adult – form 

Hertfordshire (Children) – Call 0300 123 4043

Milton Keynes (Adults) – Safeguarding Adults and Children

Milton Keynes (Children) – Call 01908 253169 or 01908 253170 (Mon-Thu 9-5 and Fri 9-4). Outside of these hours, you can call the Emergency Social Work team on 01908 265545. Alternatively, you can email

Oxfordshire (Adults) – Raise a safeguarding concern for an adult 

Oxfordshire (Children) – Report child abuse 

Slough (Adults) – Report suspected adult abuse

Slough (Children) – Emergencies/Concerns 

Hillingdon (Adults) – Safeguarding adults 

Hillingdon (Children) – Concerned about a child’s safety?

Harrow (Adults) – You can report abuse by emailing or calling them on 020 8420 9453.

Harrow (Children) – Child protection 

Plus Plus Links to specialist support for older people

General – Age UK 

Sight/Hearing Loss – Sense

Alzheimer’s – Alzheimer’s Society 

Dementia – Dementia friends

Loneliness/social isolation – Charity Supporting Older People Through Volunteering 

Plus Plus Support for people with learning disabilities

If you or a member of your family has a learning disability or is autistic then Talkback is a charity that can help. Talkback, which has been supported with an £8,000 grant from Paradigm, offers one to one practical advice sessions to help with any issues that are causing stress or confusion. This could be help managing your home, such as how to ask for repairs, or it might be help to learn about using the internet or to book appointments.

We want all of our customers to feel connected with their community and to be able to ask for help. If you or a member of your family has a learning disability or are autistic and over 25, and would like some free and confidential support, please contact our customer advisers on 0300 303 1010 and they can introduce you to TalkBack.  Alternatively, you can contact Talkback direct by email talkback.advice@talkback-uk.commor or telephone 01494 434448.