Types of tenancy

Your tenancy agreement sets out what we need to do as your landlord and your rights and responsibilities as our resident.

We have several different types of tenancy. You can find out which type you have by looking at the front of your tenancy agreement.

Plus Plus Starter tenancy

If you’re a new tenant and are not transferring from another council or housing association, you will probably be given a starter to assured tenancy. A starter to assured tenancy is a week-to-week assured shorthold tenancy, which is a form of assured tenancy, with limited rights and limited security. Your tenancy will be reviewed over a 12 month period. If we are satisfied you have met your responsibilities as a tenant, your tenancy will automatically convert to assured on the first anniversary.

Plus Plus Starter to assured tenancy

Add further info here.

Plus Plus Period assured (non-shorthold) tenancy

An assured tenancy is a lifetime tenancy, issued mainly between 1989 and 2011. It offers similar rights to a secure tenancy. An assured tenancy will now only be issued to:

  • A tenant who has completed a starter tenancy which was granted before 7 November 2011
  • An existing assured tenant who mutually exchanges in some circumstances
  • A secure or assured tenant of another housing association or local authority that transfers to Paradigm or mutually exchanges in some circumstance.

Plus Plus Secure tenancy

A secure tenancy is a lifetime tenancy, issued mainly before 1989. These are now only issued to existing Paradigm secure tenants who are either transferring to another Paradigm property or to an existing secure tenant who mutually exchanges in some circumstances.

Plus Plus Alternative agreements

We use alternative tenancy agreements for some specialist schemes and our private sector leasing housing. We also use licence agreements for some temporary accommodation.

Where can I get more information about my tenancy?

You can see further information in our Tenure Policy below. Contact your Customer and Neighbourhood Officer or phone Customer Services on 0300 303 1010. You can also get independent advice from your local citizens advice service, a solicitor or Shelter