Pet information

What to do if you want a pet

We want you to enjoy living in your home and we know that pets can be a big part of this enjoyment, they can be an important part of the family or household.

If you want to have a pet you do need to get our permission first. We need to ensure your home is suitable and the pet won’t cause any issues for your neighbours.

You will need to get permission for most types of pets including cats, dogs, caged animals, rabbits, reptiles and birds. You are not allowed to keep any farm animals, livestock, or animals kept for commercial breeding.

There are several reasons why we might refuse permission – it may be against the terms of your tenancy agreement or lease or your home might not be suitable.

Please fill in the form here if you want a pet.

Important information about XL Bully dogs:  

If you own an XL Bully dog you will need to have a certificate of exemption to legally keep your pet. You will be committing a criminal offence and be in breach of your tenancy agreement if you do not hold a Certification of Exemption on 1 February 2024.


Why do I need this certificate?

New legislation in England and Wales added the XL Bully breed type to the list of dogs banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.  This follows the rise in attacks and fatalities which appear to be driven by XL Bullies.

From 31 December 2023 it became illegal to breed, sell, exchange, advertise, rehome, gift, abandon an XL Bully or allow them to stray. These dogs must be muzzled and on a lead in public.

From 1 February 2024 It became a criminal offence to own an XL Bully without a Certificate of Exemption. Owners need to:

  • Be 16 years or older
  • Take out insurance against their dog injuring other people.
  • Microchip their dog
  • Keep their dog on a lead and muzzled in a public place.
  • Neuter their dog by 30 June 2024, unless the dog is less than one year old on 31 January 2024, when it must be neutered by 31 December 2024
  • Be able to show the certificate of exemption to the police or council when asked, or within five days.
  • Alternatively, owners can take their dog to a registered vet to be put to sleep and there is a compensation scheme to cover the vet’s costs.

More information is available here about XL Bully dogs, including how to check if your dog is an XL Bully and applying for an exemption.